Here are John Whetten’s notes from Wednesday’s FAC meeting at Orcas:
1. Augmented schedule for Thanksgiving weekend–The E/State will do a mainland run late Wednesday afternoon/evening.
2. Howie is preparing a letter to Moseley for Council (?) to sign requesting info on what’s going on with San Juan reservations. (So far as we know, nothing is–but there is great angst among our San Juan residents, in view of Moseley’s earlier statement(s).)
3. Melissa reported that a NOAA expert briefed WSF management on likely winter weather due to La Nina. Batten down the hatches! Cold, windy, and wet. Lowland snow.
4. WSF has transmitted a 4% budget cut proposal to the Governor for inclusion in the Governor’s budget to the legislature. For us: Winter schedule would be extended during which time the interisland boat would be tied up on weekends, no Sidney service, a new 64-car boat
would replace the E/State, which would go downsound. During summer schedule we would have one less Super (and a smaller boat substituted). Ouch. THESE CUTS WOULD BE NOT JUST FOR THE COMING BIENIUM, BUT ONGOING! Since this will be a legislative decision,
Council will have to work closely with our legislators during the coming session. Main action willl be February-March, 2011.
5. No progress on computerized collection of loading data.
6. Attendees from the public: Patty Miller (Councilwoman-elect) and Lance Evans (Orcas Chamber).
Next meeting: Friday Harbor, December 13. John will attend December and February FAC meetings by phone; January and March meetings in person.